FROM AN INBA E MAIL…
The coronavirus pandemic has kept us from meeting in person for the second convention in a row. But journalists build careers on being adaptable, and the Illinois News Broadcasters Association is no different.
Instead of gathering in hotel conference rooms and the bar, we’ll gather this Saturday, Sept, 26, 2020 on the video conferencing platform Zoom for a day of education and fellowship.
Here is the tentative schedule:
- 9:00am: Zoom meeting opens. Connect and say hello to your fellow INBA members!
- 9:20am: Welcome from INBA President Josh Morgan
- 9:30am: Illinoisan of the Year – Dr. Ngozi Ezike (presentation by Immediate Past President Laura Trendle Polus)
- 10:00am: Reporting on the Science of COVID-19. Sebastián Martinez Valdivia, a health reporter at KBIA in Columbia, MO and Rick Weiss from SciLine will make sure you know to give your audience accurate, up-to-date information with necessary context.
- 11:15am: INBA Business Meeting and Elections
- 1:00pm: TBD
- 1:30pm: Follow the Money. Pete Quist and Stacy Montemayor from the National Institute on Money in Politics will provide tools and story ideas to help you report on campaign finance.
- 3:00pm: Being a Journalist in 2020. An open discussion of the challenges and opportunities facing reporters and editors right now.
The convention is free for current INBA members, although a donation to the organization is always welcome. Please register here.
If you’ve been putting off joining INBA, now is the perfect time to do so with our current membership special. Right now, $25 gets you registered for the convention, plus a year of all the great perks of being an INBA member. If you’re a student, the cost is just $15. Join here!
If you have questions about this virtual convention, contact INBA vice president Brian Moline at email@example.com . If you have questions about INBA membership, contact Rich Egger at firstname.lastname@example.org .
We hope to see you online on Saturday September 26!